Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The Invincible Iron Man #9: Date stamp bonus!

Nice to have this copy of The Invincible Iron Man #9 rock into the Junkyard over the weekend:


Nice of it to also come complete with a June 1982 date stamp on the rear cover. Being a 'tall' digest with a $0.70 cover price and no Australian indicia date I figured it was an early/mid-1982 issue, but pleasing to have it confirmed nonetheless.

This issue could have been on the shelves in March 1982, but I tend to favour a later date of April. As often mentioned in these parts, newsagency markings on the Yaffa's suggest a 2 or 3 month shelf life, but the fact that this was the last issue in the series - I don't know of, say, a #10 reprinting the first issue - suggests to me it was more likely published quite late in the piece in this phase of Yaffa's Marvel reprints.

And I don't have a copy of The Invincible Iron Man #8 to check - nor do I recall ever spotting one - but I'm betting that it is also a 'tall' digest. And the date - should it come to light - will be no earlier than September 1981, and not later than February 1982. So let's say November 1981. Just calling it now.  

No comments: